Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

An Overdue Update + Pumpkin Dog Biscuits

makeupbag with coffee and card


In the almost one year since my last post, I’ve completed many projects, sold quite a few, and most importantly, learned so much about sewing and more particularly, bag construction.  I continue to improve my techniques with each bag I make.

I started this blog as a place to elaborate more about my sewing projects, particularly the ones for sale, but I found that after I spent so much time photographing and describing the items, there was little left to say, especially since I sell only a few items- in different prints.

So I’ve decided to change the purpose of this blog from “making things” to “making.”   After all, we all make things everyday, whether it’s making something great, making something better, or making a mess.  We’ll see if this approach prompts me to write more.  

With that said, here's something I made recently: Pumpkin, Parsley, and Oat Dog Biscuits.

There are lots of homemade dog treat and dog biscuit recipes out there.  I didn't follow any single one, instead I chose a few ingredients I wanted to incorporate to make my own recipe.  Pumpkin is a great digestive regulator, which is good for Rory's sensitive stomach, and parsley is known to help with "doggy breath."  So I ended up with canned pumpkin, dried parsley, and oats as my main ingredients, with egg and whole wheat flour as "binders."  The results is a a dense dog biscuit that, when left to dry for a few hours, ends up hard on the outside, and still a bit chewy on the inside.


fall pumpkin dog biscuits

Pumpkin, Parsley, & Oat Dog Biscuits Recipe
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • 2 Tablespoons nonfat powdered milk
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats, ground (I use a food processor)
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients to make a stiff, dense dough.  This can be done by hand, or use a stand mixer with a dough hook.  Add a splash of water if needed to make the dough pliable.  Roll the dough to desired thickness, and cut shapes with a knife or cookie cutter.  Place biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.  Turn off the oven and leave the biscuits inside for several hours or overnight to dry out.  The less moisture that remains, the longer these will keep at room temperature.  Freeze in a zip top bag to make then last even longer.

Enjoy!

rory fall
 

No comments:

Post a Comment